Senior Software Engineer
LOCATION: Toronto, ON
Block 64 is a software development and IT services company delivering elegant solutions that help our business customers embrace modern cloud computing platforms. Our products have been market tested and are currently deployed in large enterprise organizations globally on behalf of one of the largest cloud service providers in the world.
We are about to take it to the next level and need your help to achieve our goal of becoming a leading IT assessment services provider in the market. We are a savvy team of industry vets who like to have a little fun in the office (or when working from home!) but are also serious about customer service and providing top-notch service levels to our valued partners.
We are seeking an experienced PHP and .NET developer or engineer that can design, plan and implement our transition from PHP/LAMP to .NET. The successful candidate will be results-oriented and highly motivated with attention to detail and excellent problem-solving skills. We are looking for a technical leader with prior experience leading technical migration projects.
The successful candidate must possess applied knowledge of all aspects of the system development lifecycle and current best practices in development operations systems and processes. Reporting to the Director of Software Development, you will have broad responsibilities including but not limited to system architecture and design, developing functional and technical requirements, coding, testing and generally improve the stability and scalability of our existing applications in collaboration with our existing development team. This is a challenging role, which will require an ongoing balance between the current needs of our growing business and our long-term goals.
About the Position
- This is a full-time position based in our Liberty Village office in Toronto with flexible work-from-home options
- Competitive salary based on experience and relevant skills
- Full health benefits including RSP matching
- Casual work environment with flexible working options
- Promote best practice, defect-free programming, create and maintain quality code, provide support during testing cycles and post-production deployment, engage in peer code reviews
- Design, code, and develop innovative customer-facing features and back-end applications from concept to production
- Lead daily scrum, sprint planning, retrospective, and release meetings; including written functional, technical requirements, acceptance criteria and validate the results, prepare and verify builds for production release
- Own the development and prioritization of the product development roadmap with reporting to executive
- Support collaboration between development and other department. Work with internal and external team members, management, customers, and partners to identify and understand business requirements and translate to functional and technical specification
- Provide technical guidance, and ongoing support to less experienced team members
- Adhere to all source code management and release management best practices and in accordance with company policy
- Must be flexible to changes in priority with the ability to execute tasks with limited supervision
- Must be a team leader with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must have 5+ years of professional experience in full lifecycle software development in a technical leadership role
- Ability to lead the team/prioritize multiple tasks and projects to meet deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent
- Ability to demonstrate advanced level expertise in the PHP, .NET Core, C# and Python
- Experience in agile development methodologies and with development operations tools including JIRA, Bitbucket and Git
- Knowledge of Linux based and Windows operating systems, command-line programming, and basic scripting (PowerShell and bash)
- Understanding of public cloud platforms (AWS, Azure), virtualization technologies (HyperV, VMware, Docker)
- Nice to have: client-server communication and network security protocols, including WMI, SMB, RPC, SSH, TCP/IP
- Strong communication skills technical and business, verbal and written
- Most importantly, a keen, curious mind and a thirst for knowledge!
How to Apply
Please submit your application here.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only candidates who meet the stated requirements will be considered.